In Love with Life: Sunny with a High of 75

Wednesday, April 3, 2013


I am pretty stoked today because I just found out that one of my favorite bands, Relient K, is coming to Milwaukee in May!!!  I first listened to them in 7th grade on a youth group trip, and have been a fan ever since. It all started with the song Sadie Hawkins Dance which is just a fun, somewhat dorky song that is just great to jump around too (I was in 7th grade after all).  And that's just one of the many fun, random subject, songs that makes Relient K who they are.  And yet what I really appreciate about their music is that underneath all the jokes and funny lyrics, is a deeper message of hope through Christ.  Songs like For the Moments I feel FaintLet it all Out, and Deathbed (10 minute song, but worth listening all the way throughare slower ballads with amazing lyrics.  When I'm in a bummer, blah sort of mood, I often find myself turning on Relient K to bring me words of encouragement and also lighten my heart, put me in a better mood.  In fact, one of my faves that I tend to listen to, both when I need to get in a good mood and when I'm sick of winter, is High of 75.  Here's a snippet of the lyrics:

We were talking together
I said, "What's up with this weather?"
Don't know whether or not
How sad I just got
Was of my own volition
Or if I'm just missing the sun
And tomorrow, I know
Will be rainy at best
And the forecast, I know
Is that I'll be depressed
But I'll wait outside
Hoping that I'll catch sight of the sun
Because on and off
The clouds have fought for control over the sky
And lately, the weather has been so bi-polar
And consequently, so have I

But now I'm sunny with a high of 75
Since You took my heavy heart, and made it light
And it's funny how you find you enjoy your life
When you're happy to be alive

It totally describes how I feel when I have those blah moods; those days in winter when I am just waiting for the sun to come out and bring joy.  But then the chorus goes beyond that and reminds me of two things.  One: Christ has indeed made my heart light, and for that, I have a reason to be joyful.  Two: We really do enjoy life when we're happy to be alive.  It comes from a choice to be happy, to choose joy!  [Which fits perfectly with my resolution to be more in love with life!]

Music is one of those things that helps me change my attitude, to be more joyful.  I am thankful for the lovely band Relient K and the music that they create that brings me joy!  If you haven't heard them, check them out.  Perhaps I'll see you at the concert in May ;) 


(Images by Jered Scott via RelientK's website)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...